Sunday, October 23, 2011

please don't take this personally...

I'm not writing this or directing this towards anyone! I do not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my opinions or thoughts- totally not my style. If I write something that bothers you, feel free to let me know, but please be nice about it. I'm really not trying to be mean. As a matter of fact, most of this is really about me and if you ask my BBFF Maria, she will tell you not a meanie. 


I just have been doing a lot of thinking since my band removal and I think I need to get this out and just be done with it. 


Warning: rant starts now-


I am now in this place that when I hear people saying things like "my band isn't working any more" (if you have read my blog for a while, you know that I was actually someone who has said this in the past) it really annoys me. Actually your band is probably working fine. YOU aren't working anymore! (when I say "you" I am referring to myself as well). It really took me losing my band to come to so many realizations about how much of this relies on you when you have this tool and even when you don't. We always have said that the band is a tool, and not the magic cure. Why do we expect it to do all the work sometimes? I say I am doing okay, eating right "most of the time", but really I'm full of crap! If that were true, I'd still be losing weight. I have a brain, I know how to win this battle. I need to start using my brain more! DUH. 


The other thing that I have to get off my chest is that I can't stand to hear/see people abusing their band. I mean really- you can't drink a protein shake and you need to know if you are too tight? You threw up/PB'd during every meal this week and you are still asking if you need to get an unfill? You go directly to the sliders everyday and you wonder why you aren't losing weight and instead of putting your self in check you ask your blog friends "do you think I need a fill?"... UGHHHHH! I didn't do this to my band, why did I have to lose it? If you don't like your band and you are going to abuse it and eat around it just get rid of it. Stop abusing it right in front of my face... it just makes the sting of losing a band that much worse when I happened to be following the rules and taking care of it and others can pretty much use and abuse theirs and face no ill effect- or so it seems. I couldn't even have a second chance with a band if I wanted one. Don't waste this opportunity that you have to use your band and make your life better. 


I am not saying I'm perfect. I am working on me right now too. We can't be perfect, but we should be trying to do our best and being honest about it at the same time. This is an honesty moment for me. 


whew. End Rant here. 


Maybe now that I have vomited all of that out, I can start moving forward again. 


I am working on a plan for my next steps. My insurance is changing in January. It will not cover anything if I decide to go for the Sleeve surgery. So, that means I'm on my own until I pay off two bills (my car, our trailer) it is going to be all paid in the next few months... and then I have to actually get brave enough to go through with it. I really cherish the conversations I had with some of the ladies in Chicago about what comes next for me, I got some wonderful advice and support and of course I want to keep moving forward. 


Thanks for continuing to support me and push me in the right direction.  I guess I shouldn't be so ranty about things because it really has helped ME in the end. I've been reading more than posting lately, but mostly that is just because work has been insanely busy.  I'm working on getting back on the exercise wagon too- fell hard off of that one. Gotta make time for me and the things that are important to me. 


Hope you are all well! I loves ya :)

22 comments:

  1. Really not too ranty as rants go, promise:) I completely agree with you though- some people just want this little implant to do police their every action and are willing to cause themselves severe physical harm in the process. I always keep my band as loose as possible to minimize issues- fingers crossed! Good luck with financing the Sleeve in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, rant away! You are so right on both those counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was not a rant at all. It was spot on. We often forget how lucky we are...until we are forced to deal with not having our band. I applaud you for continuing on your journey. You will get the finances you need to get your sleeve. You are determined...and nothing will stand in your way. I'm glad I know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was not so much a rant as a wake up call for some. What you're saying makes so much sense. If you're going to eat around the band, then complain about it not working...why have it? We are all big girls. The band is a tool to use to help control appetite when we are following the bandster rules. I ache every day that you had to go through the removal Jen. I know you can do what it takes to get through this time. We're here for you and thanks for the wake up call!
    (Edit due to wrong name...sooo sorry!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have to ay is, "AMEN!!!"

    We're all behind you no matter what you choose to do. We love you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a Meanie... LOL I wish there was a magic wand most days, but sadly... There isn't. It's funny, I chose the band so I could be more involved in my weight loss and now... I wish I could be less involved, and it just fall off. I think alot of us get burned out after trying so hard to lose weight for so long. I took a break and maintained for a while... but as you said, it's hard getting back on that horse, expecially when you're still too heavy to ride it. I love you and I am so glad that you are strong enough to battle through all this, I am not sure I could do the same. XOXO, Miss You! *M*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is right on. While I'm one who has been making my band do most of the work for me (lately), I know the fault lies squarely on my shoulders. I agree with your post entirely. I hope you're able to find a viable solution to for your weight loss goals. I don't know anyone who deserves it more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rant away -- you were not wrong in anything you said! Sending you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were spot on and I am very proud of you for saying what you feel. Too often things get candy coated and we all need to have accountability, band or not. I can't wait to see where your journey takes you because you KNOW we are all here for you no matter what path you take. Big BOOB hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post because it could easily have come out of my mouth too. It took over a year for me to realize the band can't be too tight or help control the amount of food that goes past it. It is mostly the brain which can't be tricked but can be trained. I hope you find a solution for post-band. We are still here to help everyone the weightloss and health path.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree-- is this post about me ? (Just kidding, I don't THINK I am a band abuser...but you never know.)
    Whatever: I am proud of you-- you have been very brave and you have the right to be pissed when you see anyone abusing their band. It can be really heart-breaking to watch.
    Your blog is where you get to say your piece-- and you keep doing that, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post Jen. You are so right. I really hope everything works out with your plans for a new surgery. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. feel free to rant. I am a new bandster but already have bought into the idea that MOST of this battle is mental and the band will only help with 25% of the work. The other 75% is me. I feel for you and the loss of your band...that sounds kind of lame but the feeling is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're absolutely right. I may not take perfect care of my band but I do my best to be good to my tummy. Rant away...I appreciate honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i puffy heart this post :) All bandsters should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes people need to hear the truth! I wish I had listened to this when I was busy eating around mine and regaining all the weight two years ago.

    I love you and you will find a way to reach the end of this journey. You have done so wonderfully. You are my inspiration for running.

    I like that you did no sugar coat it, All bandsters need to hear this type of post now and then, some us more often LOL

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything you said was right on. It's easy - especially if we've been banded for awhile to take it for granted. I'm trying to remember as I'm struggling a bit how hard I fought to get the band in the first place.
    We're all here to support you in your next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just the smack we (I) need! Thank you for this. ((hugs for you))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sweetie, no offense here.. you speak the truth.. weightloss is nothing more than a big math problem calories in and calories burnt.. if you take in more than you burn you wont lose weight, band or no band.. you still have to make good food choices..you are doing fine, give yourself a pat on the back

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post Jen! Sometimes I want to rant, but I'll just let you do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete